Saturday, June 24, 2017

The M-Squad and TV Jazz - 60 Years Ago!


by Steven Cerra

I never knew that I had anything in common with the late movie, television and stage actor, Lee Marvin [1924–1987],that is until I undertook some research involving TV shows in the late 1950s and early 1960s that featured Jazz soundtracks.

It seems that both Mr. Marvin and I served in the 4th United States Marine Division. 


Mr. Marvin did it with distinction as he was awarded the Purple Heart for action at the Battle of Saipan [June/July, 1944]. He is buried with honors at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, VA.

When I first “met” Lee Marvin, I was part of a national TV audience who viewed him every Friday night as Lt. Frank Ballinger of the Chicago Police Department’s M-Squad. From 1957-1960, he appeared in 117 episodes of the program.

I know that this may be hard to believe from today’s perspective, but The M-Squad was only one of a number of TV shows that featured Jazz scores during the late 1950s and early 1960s.


Of course, the most famous of these TV Jazz scores was Henry Mancini’s Peter Gunn, which starred Craig Stevens as the private investigator, Lola Albright as his chick “singa” girlfriend and was directed by Blake Edwards.

read more at: http://jazzprofiles.blogspot.com.br/2017/05/the-m-squad-and-tv-jazz-60-years-ago.html

0 Comments: