Friday, December 25, 2015

Julie London's Holiday Album

Reprinted from http://jazzwax.com - December 24, 2015
Julie+london+gold
As most readers know, Julie London is one of my favorite female vocalists. She had a captivating, cool singing style that never felt forced. Her satiny delivery, taste and voicing was nocturnal and relaxed, and she routinely took on tough songs and aced them with a proud, detached strength and maturity.
54080003142739b81024185dd63e86c9
You may recall that last year, I wondered why London had released only one holiday single—I'd Like You for Christmas (1957). Was keeping the Yule at arm's length London's decision (too square?) or Liberty's call (not a hip marketplace move?)? Or perhaps she did indeed record a full holiday album but the reel is sitting in a temperature-controlled vault someplace mislabeled and forgotten.
6a0133f3c49ce9970b0133f3c4d620970b-pi
In a post last year, I decided to take matters into my own hands and create a London holiday EP album by corralling all of her winter-season recordings and calling it Julie London Wishes You a Merry Christmas. This year, it's only fitting to once again remove the Plexiglas cover from the JazzWax turntable and lower the stylus on a Christmas Eve classic:
Here's I'd Like You for Christmas...
Here's Warm in December...
Here's I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm...
Here's Sleigh Ride in July...
Here's November Twilight...
And here's The Thirteenth Month...
Used with permission by Marc Myers

0 Comments: