Friday, March 1, 2013

Jazz musician overcomes brain injury with music

Posted by Andrea Ratuski, SCENE Producer | Wednesday February 27, 2013

If I didn't have music, I'd be a quarter of the way back to where I am now. Music's my life now. Connor Derraugh, musician

It's a remarkable story of determination, perseverance and above all, a deep love of music, jazz music in particular.

Connor Derraugh is a 17-year old aspiring musician who plays alto sax and piano. But two and a half years ago he suffered a terrible brain injury during surgery that left him paralyzed on his right side. That meant having to learn how to walk again, how to talk, how to eat. And accepting the possibility that he'd never play music again.

While still in hospital, Derraugh announced to his father that no matter what, he was going to jazz camp, even if he had to play with just one hand. He had been attending the University of Manitoba's Summer Jazz Camp for five years and absolutely loved it. 

"Music helped me in a lot of ways," Derraugh said. Once home from the hospital, he realized he didn't have the strength to even make a sound on the piano. Rather than be discouraged he concentrated first on saxophone, because the keys are softer and easier to play. He does have exercises to strengthen his right hand, but it was really the music that pulled him through. 

"If I didn't have music, I'd be a quarter of the way back to where I am now. Music's my life now," he said. 

Jazz musician Walle Larsson stepped in and offered to give Derraugh lessons on the sax, he even developed a special technique that would make it easier for him.


Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/scene/homepage-promo/2013/02/27/connor-derraugh-overcomes-the-odds/?cmp=rss

0 Comments: