Wednesday, June 29, 2011

WBEZ colleagues remember legendary jazz radio host Larry Smith

Former WBEZ Jazz Host Larry Smith passed away last weekend of a heart attack. He was 83 years old. The longtime overnight host of Jazz Forum had a flair for broadcasting and jazz music. His voice was one of the most recognizable in Chicago broadcasting.

Larry Smith (left) with Dick Buckley (WBEZ archives)
Smith began his tenure at WBEZ in 1982 and retired in September 2005.
Larry Smith owned the overnight airwaves.  When I first started here, I knew exactly who he was the first time I was introduced. Later in my career, I was doing the Schadenfreude comedy program and that meant long hours, sometime into the wee hours. I would go into the kitchen to grab more coffee and run into him eating his take out dinner from Beef & Brandy on State Street. We would exchange pleasantries and he would send me off with a booming "Ok, now!" or "Don't work too hard!"
I could go on and on with stories about one of the best, but I think I'll let my colleagues speak for me. Here are some thoughts and memories from WBEZ colleagues that worked closely with Larry:
Torey Malatia, WBEZ general manager:
Larry Smith was one of the most highly regarded jazz broadcasters in the country during his over two decades of hosting music on WBEZ.  Jazz performers from internationally renowned artists, to young local performers who just cut their first recording, dropped in on Larry’s jazz show on WBEZ after performances at theaters, concert halls, and clubs, to talk and jam  (yes, play music live on the radio)  with swingin’ Larry Smith.

I’ll never forget Ira’s early This American Life broadcasts, when the show was local in late 1994, closing with Ira promoting the upcoming schedule on Friday night.  He’d say, “and then, Larry Smith, Larry Smith, Larry Smith,” as if the name were of too much import to say it just once.
Richard Steele: Former WBEZ jazz host and current WBEZ contributor:
“Sit back, relax, and let’s swing together”
Those words were Larry Smith’s trademark opening for his nightly jazz show on WBEZ.  And swing he did…for the entire length of his show.  Even his favorite ballads had a ‘slowed down’ swing element.  Jazz was his true passion.  He would often expound on a noteworthy trumpet solo by someone like Dizzy Gillespie.  That’s probably because back in the day, Larry played a little jazz trumpet himself.  If you’re wondering just how much he loved this music, you need to know that in addition to emceeing jazz performances featuring just about every legendary musician in jazz, he once did a regular ‘live’ radio show from the famed Sutherland Lounge, where he did on-air interviews with everybody from Count Basie to Miles Davis.  
But one of my most enduring memories was a weekly eight hour jazz show that Larry did here at WBEZ.  I sat in for him a few times when he was on vacation.  The show was so long that it almost turned me against jazz.  But not Larry…he loved it! He’ll be sorely missed by Chicago’s expansive jazz community (especially the old-timers), but I’m confident that they’ll ‘memorialize’ Larry by continuing to swing!
Claude Cunningham: Director of Facilities at WBEZ. Claude will be delivering the eulogy at Larry's funeral:
In the early days of listening to jazz radio, I came across a jock who was playing some hot jazz music (swinging, finger popping , foot patting, jazz music). One day my uncle took me to the Sutherland Hotel where I first met Mr. Smith. It was one of the first times meeting a real live jock. Later, Larry and I became best friends. In the early 80’s, Larry took his live jazz show to a place called "The Chances R" restaurant.  He called me and asked if I would handle the door for the "Larry Smith Jazz Party." This was the place where musician like Von Freeman, George Freeman, Bunky Green, John Young, Jimmy Ellis, Guy Fricano, Eddie Johnson, Eddie Dehass, Geraldine DeHass, and so many other local and national jazz musicians stopped by for the 'Jazz Party.' I know my friend is swinging and popping his fingers on the other side.

0 Comments: