Friday, July 30, 2010

Andrew Hill and the Penguin Guide Lists


by Ken Blanchard
I chanced upon a some jazz lists this afternoon, and that put me back in that classical mood. First there is the Jazz Calendar Page. Did you know that today is Charlie Christian's 94th birthday? Happy Birthday, Charlie, in that great jazz club in the sky.

Better yet, here is a site that presents all the four star rankings from the Penguin Guide to Jazz (may it be praised). I have relied heavily upon the Penguin Guide in my collecting, and I think it is the only standard for collectors. This stalwart soul lists all the albums that have received a four star ranking in any of the nine editions of the Guide.

He also notes those that got a crown (author's favorite) and those that get a "core collection" rating. I have almost all of the core entries from my well worn Eighth Edition. If you are collecting, get the most recent Guide. The reviews are very helpful. Either way, download the lists from this site linked above. It is very helpful.
Complete on  >>  http://jazznotesdp.blogspot.com/2010/07/andrew-hill-and-penguin-guide-lists.html

0 Comments: