Friday, April 30, 2010

Azar Lawrence - My first instrument technically was drums

My first instrument technically was drums, which I began playing at the age of 3. My first formal music lessons was playing violin. I played violin with the USC Jr. Orchestra beginning at age 5. I sang, performed, and studied music throughout elementary and middle school. I play soprano & alto sax, violin, as well as piano. I attended Dorsey High and worked with greats after leaving high school. My discography is vast and diverse due to my work on countless productions with musical greats.

Notably, I recorded Dark Magus with Miles in 1978 Live at Carnegie Hall. I played a major role in Marvin Gaye's Grammy winning album Hear My Dear. My musical history started at age of five but throughout my musical sojourn I've played sax alongside names like Woody Shaw, Horace Tapscott, Ron Carter, McCoy Tyner, Elvin Jones, and Henry Butler. After graduating from highschool I was thrust upon the jazz scene in a major way.

I played on 6 continents by the age of 21. I released three albums before the age of twenty-five, Bridge into the New Age, People Moving, and Summer Solstice. I played for McCoy for five + years and Elvin Jones for 2 years. During the eighties I wrote and performed for Earth Wind & Fire, on many of their albums including the highly acclaimed release Powerlight.

Remember the horns blaring on Can't Hide Love....that would be me......I have been truly blessed to have been touched by the greats American music has to offer.....Hell Mile's used to come and check me out. When I was 17 I snuck into see Miles @ a Los Angeles club, and Mile's saved my butt from getting kicked out.....I've been blessed byhaving been in the company of great musical wisdom from a very young age that influences me to listen to the voice that summons me, the voice of music......

May 2010 19:30
Kumble Theater for the Performing Arts - "It’s Time" Max Roach Tribute New York, New York , US
7 May 2010 19:00
Tribeca Performing Arts Center - Lost Jazz Shrines Part 1: Celebrating Ali’s A New York, New York , US

0 Comments: