Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sandoval Gets Symphonic

Trumpeter Arturo Sandoval’s new album, Time For Love (Concord Jazz), will feature classical compositions for orchestra and jazz trio. It is slated for a May 11 release.

It’s been 20 years since I came to live in the United States,” said the Cuban-born Sandoval, “and practically every year, with every record label who’s signed me, I’ve asked to make this style of album. ‘Let me play softly,’ I said. ‘Let me play ballads with big orchestration behind me. Let me hear the violins and violas, the oboes and the flutes. Let me be inspired by a symphonic setting.’”

Jorge Calandrelli worked on the arrangements (which originated with Sandoval playing the tracks at his home studio) and used a synthesizer to suggest the strings. The disc features jazz standards along with interpretations of such classical composers as Maurice Ravel and Astor Piazzolla. Guests include trumpeter Chris Botti and vocalist Monica Mancini.
http://www.downbeat.com/default.asp?sect=news&subsect=news_detail&nid=1498

0 Comments: