Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Letter from Alexia Morales

We're still boppin', Claudio! 

    

First off, it feels wonderful to know that Pacific Mambo Orchestra has such a supportive family here in the Bay Area. Playing together for the last five years has been so great. And it was with tremendous gratitude that we celebrated two sold-out shows last month at Yoshi's Oakland!

I've learned so much being in PMO. For example, the Morales, Dyer & Green tribute to Lambert, Hendricks & Ross that premiered at Fenix in December will be coming to SFJAZZ! That's not bad right out of the gate! But before we hit the big time, you'll want to come out and hear us this Friday at an intimate musician's hideaway, the art-scrawled haven known as Armando's in Martinez. I hear that before our show, you can catch impressive pianist-songwriter Sin Silver during happy hour from 4:30-6 pm. We're on at 8 pm. Please spread the word, as Armando's is a door gig and we will depend on ticket sales for revenue (well, I'm the kind of band leader who pays everyone regardless, so *I* depend on the door, and the band depends on me).

Pacific Mambo Orchestra also has some cool gigs coming up. Mark your calendars for June 3rd, when PMO will play with the world famous Berkeley High School Jazz Ensemble at the brand-spanking-new UC Theater in Berkeley! http://www.theuctheatre.org/…/1059179-bmg-community-event-…/

I also encourage you to check out PMO at one of my favorite venues, Bach Dancing and Dynamite Society. Pete Douglas, the jazz lover who started the venue, passed away not long ago, but I interviewed him in 2009 (see below). I had to sub out the gig, however, as I will be climbing Mt. Shasta again that weekend.

Finally, I had a great gig last Friday at Copperfield's Books in Santa Rosa as part of Mario Guarneri's Jazz in the Neighborhood. Thanks to Mario and Ami Molinelli (who played with us) for the delightful gig, where I was able to play a ton of new repertoire in multiple languages including Italian!

Hope to see you Friday!

Abrazos, Alexa

0 Comments: