Friday, May 29, 2015

Pavel's perfect piano

Submitted Photo
Posted By Kyle Long @DJKyleLong on Wed, May 27, 2015 at 12:36 PM
Pavel Polanco-Safadit is a whirlwind on the piano, unfurling mesmerizing lines of melody and rhythm with charismatic force. A native of the Dominican Republic, he's most known for playing salsa, Latin jazz and other genres associated with his Caribbean roots. But Pavel also possesses an advanced knowledge of Western classical music theory, which adds a significant power to the vocabulary of his unique musical language.

I spoke with Pavel in advance of his May 29 date at the Jazz Kitchen with his band Direct Contact

NUVO: You grew up in the Dominican Republic. Tell us about your childhood there and how you first became interested in playing music.

Polanco-Safadit: I remember growing up I had only one pair of shoes. I had to save them for school only! (laughs) But I had a very supportive family there.


When I was thirteen years old a missionary from the Episcopal church came along and my father took me to learn music from him. According to this teacher, who was named Tim Holt, I developed very quickly. By the time I was 14, I started teaching music at this school where I had been taking lessons. 

read more: http://www.nuvo.net/ACulturalManifesto/archives/2015/05/27/pavels-perfect-piano

0 Comments: